Monday, November 19, 2012

Pumpkin Pie with a Nut Crust

I can't believe Thanksgiving is Thursday--three days from now! I made this dessert last year and it was a hit. It's also all natural, and I'm making it again this year. 

Now, in addition to the chocolate cream pie (from my son's school fund raiser) and the store bought pecan pie (from the grocer's freezer), I'll have something for the health conscious among us.


This pie recipe is adapted from a very old magazine, although I'm not sure which one.  It uses a variety of spices that gives the pumpkin filling a fantastic flavor!

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, and Happy Eating!

Pumpkin Pie

3 eggs
1 lb. canned pumpkin
1/2 cup honey
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t ginger
1/4 t nutmeg
1/8 t cloves
1/2 t salt
3/4 cup coconut milk
Nut crust (recipe follows)

Spray a 9" pie plate with cooking spray. Line with with nut crust (see below).

Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl beat eggs slightly.  Add pumpkin, honey, spices and salt.  Beat until well blended.  Slowly stir in coconut milk.

Pour into nut crust. Bake 60-70 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Nut Crust

1 cup pecans
2 T honey
1/4 t salt
4 oz. dates
1/2 t vanilla extract

Combine all ingredients in food processor.  Spray a 9" pie plate with cooking spray.  Press nut crust mixture along bottom and sides.

I grew up eating sweet potato pie on Thanksgiving, instead of pumpkin, but I love both! Which do you prefer? Thanks for visiting and have a great week!

8 comments:

William Kendall said...

You can never go wrong with pumpkin pie!

Admittedly, I'm not too much of a fan of pecan pie...

Maria said...

Hi Maria,

Hope your Thanksgiving was good. We just celebrated Diwali here in India!

Hope your writing is going well.

Maria McKenzie said...

@William: Love that pumpkin pie! But I love pecan more than pumpkin or sweet potato. Total corn syrup sugar rush, but it's sooo good;)!

@Maria: Hi, Maria! We'll be celebrating tomorrow:). Happy Diwali! The writing is going well. I'm nearing the end of revising book 2, so I've been rather scarce around the cybersphere!

Scarlett and James said...

Very scrumptious, but admittedly we're biased towards pumpkin pie...

Maria McKenzie said...

It's hard choice! If both are available, I'll have a small piece of each;).

Norma said...

I LOVE pumpkin pie...and this one sounds extraordinary!

Intangible Hearts said...

Oh the nut crust with dates---yummy!

Maria McKenzie said...

@Norma: It's delish;)!

@Eve: That crust is pretty awesome!